The construction of the LIFE Nirvana pilot site starts
After months of careful preparation, the LIFE Nirvana pilot site, located in Zarandona Aquifer in Murcia (Spain) in the EMUASA facilities, starts its construction. The first steps for the start of the pilot have already been taken and operations are expected to start in the following weeks thanks to the effort of the partners, EMUASA and Aquatec.
Which are the benefits of LIFE Nirvana?
LIFE Nirvana project, coordinated by Cetaqua Andalucía, aims to restore the good chemical status of the groundwater bodies polluted by nitrates.
The specific benefits of the project are:
- Development of a sustainable groundwater bioremediation system, which will enable:
- A 100% reduction in the waste generated compared to conventional ex situ biological denitrification technologies.
- Energy savings of 311,000 kWh.
- A 95% reduction in CO2
- A 70% reduction in the organochlorine pesticide concentration in water.
- A 71% reduction in total OPEX, compared to conventional ex situ biological denitrification.
- The denitrification treatment of 500,000 m3 of groundwater from the aquifer at the demo site.
- The removal of 17,500 kg of nitrate from the aquifer by denitrification with Fe nanoparticles